I have a thing for crystals, stones, and rocks. I should have been a geologist. What someone might see as just an ordinary lump of brown, I see its unique beauty, feel the weight of its long history. I’ll ponder where it came from, how it was made, and how it came to be here.
I have a decent collection and I’d probably get myself into bankruptcy trying to build that collection if I’m not careful.
Crystals and stones will play roles in every one of my stories, just like animals will. Here are details about the stones I used in The White Raven.
I’d never heard of proustite until it popped up in my Facebook feed from the Geology Page; this image on the left. Isn’t it spectacular?! And gave me the inspiration for the pendant Jo uses to focus her visions.
As soon as I saw it, I wanted to own a chunk. Fat chance. The White Raven is going to need to be made into a movie before I’ll be able to afford a decent specimen.
I had to Google it because none of my resource books had it listed. Google made me laugh when I searched suggesting ‘prostitute’ instead. LOLOL
Excerpt from Chapter 5
The dark crimson stone is the size of a walnut, with naturally terminated edges of black, affixed to a long black cord with pure silver wire that is now blackened with age. As she rubs the stone with her fingers, it smolders deep within. She calls this pendant Black Fire, for in the dark the stone looks predominately black but its heart glows red when light shines upon it.
Proustite is an excellent stone for repairing, activating and opening the Root Chakra and will then link it to the Earthstar Chakra. This will ensure one remains grounded. It helps one identify fears, overcome resistance to change and excellent for countering scarcity-consciousness.
Proustite helps one align to the elemental forces and power of the Earth.
Proustite purifies the energy fields, including the physical, mental and spiritual, and removes etheric attachments, negative energies and etheric cords from the aura. It is useful in clearing out any etheric parasites and helps prevents psychic vampirism.
Chakra(s): Root, Earthstar
Powers: Strengthens, clears and protects the energy field
- Against psychic vampirism
- Against etheric parasites
- Against energy attachments
- Activation of root chakra
- Connection to Earth
- Healing shadow-self
- Spiritual grounding
- Helps reclaim one’s shadow self from the depths
- Works to bring this material back to conscious awareness
- Aids in grounding spiritual energy into the body and the earth
- Activates Root chakra and links it to the Earthstar chakra
- Great assistance for those whose path leads them downwards
- Speeds the process of spiritual transformation by bringing up the lost parts of the self for healing
- Repairs one’s connection to the body
- Beneficial to psychically sensitive people who easily become ungrounded
- Aids in overcoming jet lag
- Purifies the physical and spiritual bodies
- Helps overcome issues with sexuality
- Purifies the blood
- Combats viral and bacterial Infections
- Strong anti-fungal and anti-parasitic ally
Also known as schorl, black tourmaline is a stone prized for its protective qualities. I have a matching earring and pendant set of the rough gemstone that I wear when I need some extra insulation.
In The White Raven, one of Jo’s protective charms is of black tourmaline, and Cal is given a chunk of it to hold during his first ritual.
Excerpt from Chapter 8
Being an empath, she feels emotions and energies keenly—so intensely at times that she wears protective charms of obsidian and schorl polished to a high gloss in order to reflect the negativity. However, right now her protective stones hang on the door handle, leaving her open to whatever may come in her vision walk, relying on the watchful eye of the Goddess to keep her from true harm.
This is a very powerful spiritual grounding stone that protects against negativity of all kinds. It sucks up any negativity it encounters.
However, it does not absorb negative energy. It actually transmutes negative energy into positive energy. Therefore, this stone offers two great abilities anyone can benefit from. It offers amazing protection and has the ability to purify at the same time. What more can one ask for?
Chakra(s): All, especially the Root Chakra
Powers: Love, friendship, money, business, health, peace, energy, courage, astral projection
- All negative energy/entities
- Psychic attacks
- Against radiation
- Dark magick
- Good luck
- Balances right and left hemispheres of the brain
- Repels and blocks negative energies and physic attacks
- Grounds, balances and removes energy blockages within the Aura
- Balances, harmonizes and protects all Chakras
- Encourages positive attitude
- Pushes away all negative energy
- Protects against smog and radiation
- Place within in a room to disperse tension and stress
- Promotes clear rational thoughts
- Very powerful lucky stone
- Rub Tourmaline to intensify luck with magnetic electricity
- In Meditation, it helps to release one of negativity and self-doubts
- Keeping the vibration of this stone within your Aura is highly recommended
- Sleep with one under your pillow to cleanse the Etheric body
- Auric field
- Strengthen the immune system
- Assist pain relief of arthritis
- Spinal/muscular problems
- Helps with allergies
- Helps to relieve stress/anxiety
Obsidian is my favorite stone. As a little kid living in rural New Mexico, I’d dig in the dirt and find chunk after chunk of this volcanic glass. Cut myself a lot, too. I’d hold it up to the blazing sun and peer through it. I later learned that the translucent variety is called Apache Tears.
I have a large cabochon ring of polished obsidian I wear whenever I’m around a group of people. It repels their negativity from me like nothing else in my collection.
In The White Raven, I gave Jo this same ring as well as a pendant. Cal wears Jo’s necklace during the ritual.
Excerpt from Chapter 32
He wears a black long-sleeved shirt and black jeans. After three women badgered him about his need for protection during his very first, and this very untried ritual, Sylvia was allowed to mark his exposed skin with as many protective symbols as would fit. He wears one of Jo’s polished obsidian necklaces and holds a chunk of black tourmaline in each hand.
Black Obsidian embodies light and ethereal energy to instantly heal and shield the aura from negative energy.
Black Obsidian is sometimes known as the “wizard stone”, because it has been used in magical practices since ancient times.
It is a protective stone, often worn to guard against negativity, demanding people, hostile entities and geopathic stress. It eases tension, especially in the home and can protect against electromagnetic fields.
Powers: Protection, grounding, divination, peace
- Psychic protection
- Shields the aura
- Psychic protection
- Powerful cleanser of psychic smog
- Helps cut through illusions and glamour
- Shields the aura from psychic attacks and negative intentions
- Removes and absorbs negative energy from the environment
- Draws out mental stress and tension
- Brings clarity to the mind and clears confusion
- Dissolves emotional blockages and ancient traumas
- Promotes qualities of compassion and strength
- Aids the digestion and detoxifies
- Reduces arthritis pain, joint problems and cramps
- Warms the extremities
This stone is critical in The White Raven. I won’t tell you why, though.
I didn’t know much about labradorite before the novel. When querying my sisters in the Craft on what stone would be the best for shielding specific types of energies, this one was offered. I’d already used the other suggestions of black tourmaline and obsidian, so I needed something else.
After researching, labradorite turned out to be perfect. Since then, I’ve purchased numerous specimens, both polished and rough, as well as a wire-wrapped pendant and a ring. A big chunk sits on my home office desk.
Excerpt from Chapter 24
Jo nods again and the raven croaks repeatedly as if to agree. “Labradorite seemed to be the best stone to use. I’ve found it shields energy better than anything I’ve used before. And I added my special touches, of course.” She eyes her creation with pride.
Labradorite aligns the physical body with the higher energies.
Labradorite is known for its vibration to illuminate the path of one’s spiritual destiny. It cleanses and realigns all the energy centers within the body, which will help one to develop the proper psychic abilities to best suit them during their spiritual journey.
Labradorite lifts insecurities about life by providing one with the strength to see the true worth of their purpose. Its vibration also holds a broad level of protection to guard from negativity.
Zodiac: Leo, Scorpio, Sagittarius
- Deflects unwanted energies
- Protects the aura from negative energy
- Protects against psychic attacks and psychic vampirism
- Protects against negative alien interference
- Protects against implants, negative attachments and Spirit possessions
- Remote viewing
- Psychic wisdom
- Physical activity
- Spiritual growth
- Lucid dreaming
- Shaman journeying
- Spiritual healing
- Helps to push one beyond the realm of reality
- Stone of creative expression
- Aligns and purifies all energy centers
- Aligns the physical body with the higher energies
- Helps one to develop enthusiasm
- Aids one in triggering new ideas
- Helps one to see more clearly during meditation
- Strengthens intuition
- Assist one in understanding their destiny
- Awakens the magic powers one may have
- Helps one to see through illusions
- Assist in the development to see Auras
- Relieves insecurities about the value of one’s life
- Fills one with a sense of inner-worth
- Promotes strength of will
- Enhances discernment in all situations
- Purifies The Aura
- Treats disorders of the eyes and brain
- Stimulates mental acuity
- Relieves anxiety and stress.
- Regulates metabolism, balances hormones and relieves menstrual tension
- Treats colds, gout, and rheumatism, lowers blood pressure, and aids in digestion